Monday, March 2, 2009

Anse

I promised her I’d do it, and I did it. I traveled down those durn roads, crossed that durn river, and got us all to Jefferson all right. Now the deed is done and I’ve done my duty. I reckon when it’s my turn to go to Heaven the good Lord will look upon me well. In fact, I reckon the Lord has already repaid a good man like me, who went through so much labor and trouble. I got dem teeth now, and can chew through a slab of meat faster than Jewel coulda ever rode away on that durn horse. I also got me a lady to mind the house and the cookin’ and the cleanin’ and maybe get me another good boy or two. And I got that durn Darl in Jackson now, so I don’t got to be payin’ for that durn barn he burned down. Now it’s just me, and my new lady, and Cash with his stump leg, and Dewey Dell with her durn cakes, and Jewel without that durn horse, and Vardaman still chasin’ those durn buzzards. Yep, I durn well think the Lord has repaid me.

No comments: