Monday, March 2, 2009

Cora Pgs. 166-168

“‘Nothing,’ she said. ‘He is my cross and he will be my salvation. He will save me from the water and from the fire. Even though I have laid down my life, he will save me’”(Pg. 168).

In this quote, Addie’s characterization is being more clearly demonstrated toward the reader. It portrays how Jewel was a mistake, yet due to Addie’s favor and kind love toward him, her sin will be forgiven through her behavior toward Jewel. This quote is important because it is stands as a correlation against what Cora is stating; how Jewel is her punishment, yet where is her salvation?, for it is God to judge, not Addie. This direct correlation advances into allowing Cora to stand as a juxtaposition, for her and Addie have opposite morals and ideas about religion. This chapter was altogether extremely important because it lead into a good introduction for the next chapter; Addie’s, for it introduces her true feelings about the reasons she has acted so kindly toward Jewel.

http://pleasanthillbaptistchurch.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/salvation.128155724_std.jpg


I choose this picture to illustrate what I think Cora stands for. She is trying to show the light and salvation to Addie by telling her what to do but at the same time, this person in the picture takes up the whole picture, demonstrating how Cora portrays a conceded characterization about herself, as if she knows all and suggests the only answers to heal poor Addie Bundren.

No comments: